Questions I get asked as a "Newby Runner"

Some questions to a newby runner. These are questions people/friends/family have asked me over the last six months as my running journey has progressed. So I guess they're questions you've all been asked before. 

Question 1. Why don't I have a running partner? 
Finishing my first 5KM race with (me on the right) June Allen
Well, firstly because I can't stick to a schedule at all at the moment. If someone else were relying on me for their fitness, they would still be on the couch, waiting. I run in the mornings mostly, but sometimes  at midday and sometimes just before dark. It depends on the kids and the day or night I've had. But generally I aim to go every second day, or at least three times a week. But sometimes that means three days in succession and some weeks that means Monday, Friday and Saturday. Or whatever. 
But I do have a race partner, who is training in her own time but at more or less the same pace. She has a day job and a kid. I have the two kids. Plus she lives almost an hour away. So we set goals together and when the occasion arises,we run a race together. 
Accountability is (always) good.
But as my dad said, if I can get the discipline right to run on my own and only be accountable to myself, then that's the best. So that's what I'm working towards.  

Question 2. If you're only running short distances, why all the hoopla? 
Let me assure you and I know a lot of you will relate, someone like me running even two hundred meters is unbelievable. That equates to about two hundred and eighteen yards. I've said it before and I will say it again, I am simply not a runner. But I am working at it. I am currently running three kilometres three to four times a week. This is almost two miles. Not too shabby for a girl who swore running was against my religion and I thought perspiration was the worst thing ever. 

Question 3. Music or no music?
Since I'm running alone, I need my music. And I love it. I update the playlist constantly. Sometimes I even sing along. That's between some seriously heavy panting, of course. 

Question 4. What's the benefit? Why not just walk? 
Who wouldn't love a sport that encourages shoe shopping?
Aside from the obvious health benefits to cardio exercise, which I hate to admit are numerous, I have experienced a huge mental shift. Almost a cerebral evolution. I do run to escape the mayhem of home sometimes; even my toddler told me this week that I needed a run. 

I also run because I don't otherwise do much exercise and I need to keep fit in order to keep up with life in general. Running is faster than walking; so you do more in less time. But this afternoon, in the rain, I realised something amazing. Running is really 'me' time.  And I have said before that I need the escape to give myself a breather, but it's become more than that. I plan my day, deliberate blog ideas, work through emotional stuff, quiet my mind and all of that other mambo jumbo I was so sure people were fibbing about. It's remarkable. Yes, sometimes I think about my children or my husband, but mostly I am focusing on myself. And I don't mean that in a narcissistic way at all. 

Question 5. Have you noticed any changes in your body? 
My mom once told me that the best way to get to know your body is to moisturise every night. When you're rubbing cream into every nook and cranny, you discover things and get to know the intricacies of your form. Running also heightens this awareness. I can feel muscles and I can feel myself getting  stronger. I have often said that my body responds well to the discipline involved in exerting itself, but this is true. Running is really pushing myself out of a comfort zone. It's a tough experience for at least the first kilometre or so. After that I really - wait for it - love it.  I haven't lost weight - or if I have, it's not a noticeable amount. But I feel firmer and stronger.

Maybe it's being outdoors, maybe it's the music that I actually get to listen to. Maybe it's seeing and feeling my body strengthen and improve. Whatever it is, I'm kinda glad I do it alone because the pride that comes with all of this is something no one else can take credit for. I love how it makes me feel.  And that is the answer to the final question, which is, What do you enjoy most about running? 

Comments